Day One / Jobs
We are currently looking for an experienced iOS developer to join our team.
Day One is looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer to make meaningful, long-lasting contributions to Day One, one of the most beloved and award-winning (Mac App of the Year, 2012) journaling platforms on iOS and OS X.
We value a clean, organized, and scientific approach to coding. We want someone that thinks about software design for the long term; the ability to code is only one aspect—we want an engineer that takes his/her craft seriously, thinks deeply, and participates in the architectural process.
What You Would Do
Make Day One for Mac and iOS the best journaling platform in the world.
Our iOS and Mac apps are separate but share a common core code base. Everything is written in native Objective-C. You would work primarily in these three projects to add new features and improve existing code. Your contributions would be used daily by hundreds of thousands of people.
We are targeting OS X 10.9 and iOS 7, which means you will have the opportunity to use the most recent Apple technologies. Some of the technologies you’ll work with include iCloud, Dropbox sync, Core Data, Core Animation, Location Services and Crypto. We are working on hard problems including how to sync and manage tens of thousands of files while maintaining a fluid user experience.
Some technologies we use:
- iCloud sync
- Dropbox sync
- Core Data (multithreaded)
- Core Animation
- Core Graphics
- Git (GitHub)
- Jenkins (build server)
- Expert fluency in the Objective-C and C programming languages
- 5+ years of relevant software experience
- Experience working on a team to deliver large-scale software
- Comfortable working in a distributed team colloborating via remote communication tools (HipChat/Skype/Email)
- Ability to architect clean solutions in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Deep knowledge of the iOS and/or Mac platforms
- Impeccable understanding of memory management and multi-threaded development
- Git or other SCM experience
- Knowledge of the following frameworks: UIKit, AppKit, Core Data, Core Graphics, Core Animation, Core Text
- Willingness to adhere to coding standards and participate in peer code reviews
Location and Compensation
This position is available as a full-time salary, but we are also open and looking for part-time contractors as well. You may work remotely, from home. Being nearby in Utah is an advantage for meeting up on occasion.
- Competitive Salary
- Health, Dental, and Eye Insurance
- Work Remotely
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- Experience developing Mac apps using AppKit
- Deep Git fluency
- Ability to write technical documents (e.g. Knowledge Base articles)
- Day One user
- Android development experience
- Utah resident
Day One is a popular journaling application, loved and used by many passionate people. We are expanding to make these apps even better as an ongoing platform that will continually be improved upon. This is an opportunity to be involved with a magnificent project at an early stage.