Journaling is made even easier using the new Text Messaging to Day One feature on iPhone! Text Messaging to Day One is available in the Premium subscription. It is currently available to subscribers in USA and Canada. The team is working on making this available internationally as quickly as possible
Set up Text Messaging for Day One (USA)
Go to Day One > Settings > Reminders > Text Messaging to set up this feature. Tap to Add your phone number and follow the steps to send the first text message. A message is loaded into the Messages app, ready for you to tap Send. This will set up your phone number to send texts directly to Day One. The text message number via this message is a US number. See the Terms of Service below.
Once set up, simply send a text message to create an entry in Day One.
To use this feature on iPad, text message forwarding must be enabled via iPhone in the device Settings app > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.
WhatsApp (Canada only at this time)
Text Messaging to Day One can now be set up with WhatsApp for users in Canada.
- Go to Day One > Settings > Text Messaging > Add (Phone Number).
- Choose WhatsApp
- We will prepare a message in WhatsApp. Just tap Send once the message is loaded into WhatsApp.
WhatsApp integration is not available for Day One on iPadOS.
To view current settings, text balance, and to set up a Daily Text Reminder, go to Day One > Settings > Reminders > Text Messaging. Here you will also see options to Send Message Now, Receive Sample Reminder Now, Add To Contacts, and the option to receive an Entry Confirmation Message.
Text messaging balances are based on 1 full year of Premium. Each year, Premium subscribers are provided the following:
- Annual subscribers: 500 messages per year
- Monthly subscribers: 50 messages per month.
As this feature is launched at various points for subscribers, the amount has been prorated based on the remaining period in the active subscription.
Additional messages are available via in-app purchase
- 50 messages = $0.99 USD
- 300 messages = $4.99 USD
In Day One > Settings > Reminders > Test Messaging > Daily Text Reminder the option can be enabled to receive a text message at a specified time to journal. Simply reply to the message to create an entry.
Text Messaging Terms of Service
- If you opt in to using Text Messaging on Day One, you may receive one-off messaging describing how the feature works, alerting you about the state of your message balance, or handling any error cases. If you opt in to using the Daily Text Reminder, you may receive a daily text message reminding you to create a journal entry, and possibly some one-off messaging to assist you in turning that feature on or off as desired.
- You can cancel the SMS service at any time. Just text “STOP” to the short code. After you send the SMS message “STOP” to us, we will send you an SMS message to confirm that you have been unsubscribed. After this, you will no longer receive SMS messages from us. If you want to join again, just send “START” or sign up as you did the first time and we will start sending/receiving SMS messages again.
- If you are experiencing issues with the messaging program you can reply with the keyword HELP for more assistance, or you can get help directly at email@example.com.
- Carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
- As always, message and data rates may apply for any messages sent to you from us and to us from you. Message frequency from us may vary. If you have any questions about your text plan or data plan, it is best to contact your wireless provider.