One of the great new features in Mac OS X Yosemite is support for share extensions. With share extensions, any app supporting the OS X system share menu can be used to share content with apps that created a share extension. In Day One Mac 1.10, you can use OS X’s share menu to post content to Day One from Finder, Photos, Safari, and more.
Enabling the Day One Share Extension
Follow these steps to enable the Day One Share Extension:
- Go to OS X Preferences > Extensions > Share Menu.
- Find Day One listed in the right-hand pane.
- Click the checkbox to enable the Day One share extension.
- Click and drag Day One to move it to the top of the list. This will make Day One the first item in app share menus.
Here’s a walkthrough for using the Day One share extension in Photos:
- Open Photos.
- Go to Preferences > General and click the checkbox next to Metadata. This will enable location information to be included with published items.
- Find and select a photo you’d like to add to Day One.
- Open the share menu by either clicking the share icon on the right-side of the menu bar or by control-clicking your photo.
- Click Day One in the share menu to open the Day One share sheet. (If you don’t see Day One, click More….)
- Add any additional entry text, then click Add to Day One. (If available, your photo’s time, date, and location are used for the entry’s metadata.)
- Open Day One and go to the date of the photo to see your new entry.
To use the Day One share extension with Safari, do the following:
- Open Safari.
- Select some content you’d like in a Day One journal entry.
- Click the Share icon to open the share menu.
- Click Day One in the share menu to open the Day One share sheet.
- The share sheet is pre-populated with the webpage’s title and URL, along with any text you may have selected (with blockquote markdown automatically prepended to your selected text). Add any additional text or revisions you’d like to make, then click the Add to Day One button to post to Day One.
- You’ve successfully added a new entry from Safari to Day One using the share extension. Congrats!
Finder and other apps
Similar to Photos and Safari, you can use the share menu to post content to Day One with Finder and other apps. Simply control-click the item you wish to post, then follow the steps as outlined above. We hope that this new feature will make it easier for you to record life as you use your Mac. Keep on journaling!
About the Author
Dallas Petersen is Day One’s product manager by day (and some nights). When he’s not working, he’s hanging out with his wife and five kids and/or playing board games.