Note: Day One Classic (version 1.x) has not been updated since March 2016. It has been retired. We strongly recommend updating to the current version of Day One. See here.
Backing Up Your Journal
IMPORTANT: Before uninstalling Day One on your Mac, make sure you’ve backed up your data. Follow these steps
- Find your journal data. (See: Where is the Day One data file stored? in our Support Center.)
- Save your journal data to your Desktop.
If you’d like to save your Day One auto-backups, do the following:
- Read How do I restore from a backup? to find your backup files.
- Select some or all of these files, and save them to your Documents.
- After you’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Day One, you can move these files back into the Backups folder.
Uninstalling Day One for Mac
- Close both the main app and the menu bar app
- Delete the Day One application (/Applications/Day One.app)
- Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
- Run the following commands in Terminal (copy/paste each one and press enter):
defaults delete com.dayoneapp.dayone rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.dayoneapp.dayone rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.dayoneapp.dayone-agent rm -rf ~/Library/Group Containers/5U8NS4GX82.dayoneapp
5. Empty your trash
Follow the steps above for uninstall and then:
- Restart your computer
- Reinstall Day One from the Mac App Store > Purchased. http://help.dayoneapp.com/day-one-classic/how-do-i-download-day-one-classic