Right now we do not have a way to change encryption keys within the app. The following steps will allow users to obtain a new key via a new Day One account. Note that the account deletion process can take up to 5 days (see step 8).
Please follow the steps carefully. Please contact support if you have any questions about this process.
- Export all data as a JSON file. (This is a precaution and may not be needed)
- Upload that JSON file to iCloud Drive or Dropbox
- Sign out of Sync in the Day One app on all devices. Sign In/Sign Out. Journal entries will remain in the app locally.
- Close the app and leave closed until directed to re-open later in these steps. Do not uninstall Day One.
- Sign in to https://dayone.me/settings in a web browser. There are more than one way to sign into an account. Be sure to use the option associated with your account.
- Scroll down and click Delete Account
- Open Day One on the primary device.
- Go to Day One > Settings > Sign In. Choose an option to create a new account or create a new account at https://dayone.me/signup. The account deletion process from step 6 takes up to 5 days to prevent accidental deletion. A different email or alias will need to be used in order to create a new account immediately. After 5 days, you can update the account to use the former email address by signing into the Web app.
- Sign in to Day One Sync on all devices using the option chosen in step 8. Sign In/Sign Out
- You may need to restore purchases if the appropriate account status is not reflected automatically.
- Data will begin syncing and you can locate the encryption key in Day One > Settings > Sync > Show Encryption Key (iOS); Day One > Preferences > Journals > Show Encryption Key (macOS); Day One > Settings > Sync > Encryption Key (Android).
- Please save the key in a secure location.