Our top priority is protecting your data. We have two backup methods and one sync method described in this guide: Backup and Sync options. Despite multiple efforts, sometimes users have experienced data loss.
- Please identify the version of Day One installed.
- iOS: go to Day One > Settings > About
- Mac: click Day One > About Day One (in the file menu)
- Has a sync method been used in Day One?
Once those have been identified, please search this guide to find potential solutions.
Day One and later on iOS or Mac
Day One Sync
Our best backup method is Day One Sync. If you are using Day One Sync, please sign in to the web app and click “all entries”. Do you see the expected entry count there? If not, please see the options below or contact support.
Automatic Text-Only backups (iOS)
- Automatic Text-only backups to iCloud for Day One iOS for version 5.8 and later
iCloud/iTunes device backups (iOS)
Your data is automatically included in iCloud device backups. These will include text and photos. Please see this article:
Time Machine Backups (macOS)
If you use Time Machine backups on Mac, data may be recovered this way. Day One data is stored here on Mac:
/Users/[your computer name]/Library/Group Containers/5U8NS4GX82.dayoneapp2/Data/Documents
Once that folder is located on a recent Time Machine backup, it can replace the current data on the hard drive.
Day One on Android
Day One Classic (version 1.x)
Please try these two articles (in order):
- Missing data in Day One Classic (version 1) iOS
- Missing data in Day One Classic macOS
- Recovering Entries after iCloud Data Loss
- Local backups on Mac
Dropbox officially retired API v1 as of September 28, 2017. This stops Day One Classic (version 1) from being able to sync with Dropbox.
If you have a Mac, please follow these steps:
- Download Day One on your Mac.
- Add the app to your dock.
- Open Dropbox > Apps > Day One > Journal.dayone
- Download the file to the Downloads folder
- Open the new Day One.
- Click File > Import > Classic File and choose that file in the Downloads folder.
Day One Sync
Please sign in to the web app and click “all entries”. Do you see the expected entry count there? If not, please contact support.